Release Schedules and Feedback on Fixes

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Dec 15 23:08:11 CST 2006

On 12/06/15 10:00 PM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

Hi Joakim,

> Just let me tell you, I had this exact sam eproblem before, although a bit
> different as I develop another type of program. I started a new version
> doing some drastic changes and just as if it was on order, some days later I
> serious problem showed up with the old (still current) version. The problem
> was though I didn't really had that source in a usable state so I could
> pinpoint the problem, as I had just built on the old source. This caused a
> lot of problem and to solve it had to promis free upgrade of next version to
> keep them calm.
>
> Now I keep the current version intact and continue to develop from a "copy"
> of it, or branch, and don't have to worry. If something shows up, I can just
> upgrade/update to next version as users mostly don't want that, not in
> relation to a problem. If you do good product, they will upgrade sooner or
> later, when it fits them. I don't use a "true" branching system as CVS or
> Subvision, but the idea is the same. As I am just one developer, I can keep
> it simpler.
>
> To avoid misunderstanding, just let me finish with saying that I already
> love Valentina, I think she is taken care of by a great team, gets great
> support etc. and I don't want to slow down her development BUT I don't think
> it's fair if this should force me to take decisions about my own product
> that I may not feel ready to do etc. in case she happens to take a sidestep.
> I release my app tomorrow based on V2.5 and I plan to maintain this release
> for about a year, meanwhile I develop NEXT STEP for later release when time
> show to be right. During this time I want to be able relying on V2.5 to be
> with me as well also if I run into trouble. When I release next step, I use
> other version of Valentina etc. That's all about it.

Yes this wish is clear.
But take into account this my reason which have keep me also to avoid this.

1) you say about YOUR app branches. Good. Clear.
    but you make and support this one app.
    so on your site exists only few archives:

        1.0  -> 1.1  ->  1.2
        1.5

2) the same with FileMaker I think, example of Robert.
    they make SINGLE product with single archive.

With Valentina we have about 15 archives of all products and ADKs in full
product line. It takes at least 5-6 hours to build all these archives using
at least 2 computers.

Total upload now takes about 200 MB.

So when I think about way to keep on site full product line for 2.5,
Then do releases 2.6 and 2.7, then 3.0
and be able yet return back and produce 2.5.4 and upload it ...

This looks like too titanic job for such not big team as we do.
But we will try of course, may be its not so scary and hard :-)

---------------
We discuss this here, and Ivan says:
    in ideal - to provide all this, we need yet at least

    * one more developer which do only job - build archives from CVS.

    * second developer-manager do manage only CVS, think and plan
    branches, bug/features separation into branches,
    fixes propagation in branches

I just expose our thinks aloud  :-)
I'd add

    * full time tester-developer, which do only job as get from
    CVS sources, to MAC and WIN, build tests and run them, as often
    as possible.

This will almost double requirement for our team :-))