Release Schedules and Feedback on Fixes

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Fri Dec 15 23:23:24 CST 2006

> > I release next step, I use other version of Valentina etc.
> That's all about it.
>
> Yes this wish is clear.
> But take into account this my reason which have keep me also
> to avoid this.
>
> 1) you say about YOUR app branches. Good. Clear.
>     but you make and support this one app.
>     so on your site exists only few archives:
>
>         1.0  -> 1.1  ->  1.2
>         1.5

Well of my main app I have Editions Beginners, Basic, Synastry, Standard,
Advanced and Professional. I also have Professional in 3 bundles with other
apps :-)

The I also have a heritage from old owner from which I took over, he also
made "special" releases to people with just some small extra feature added
and now then want to upgrade and also have this extra added :-)

This is very complex and I don't like this old extra thing, of course. So
far have done a compromize on this but for next version I will not support
it anymore though.

I understand your concerns about all this, but I am not sure if you (and
your team) yet have grasped the work process on this. I think you "think it"
too complex while it not have to be.

> 2) the same with FileMaker I think, example of Robert.
>     they make SINGLE product with single archive.
>

> With Valentina we have about 15 archives of all products and
> ADKs in full product line. It takes at least 5-6 hours to
> build all these archives using at least 2 computers.
>
> Total upload now takes about 200 MB.
>
> So when I think about way to keep on site full product line
> for 2.5, Then do releases 2.6 and 2.7, then 3.0 and be able
> yet return back and produce 2.5.4 and upload it ...
>
> This looks like too titanic job for such not big team as we do.
> But we will try of course, may be its not so scary and hard :-)
>
> ---------------
> We discuss this here, and Ivan says:
>     in ideal - to provide all this, we need yet at least
>
>     * one more developer which do only job - build archives from CVS.
>
>     * second developer-manager do manage only CVS, think and plan
>     branches, bug/features separation into branches,
>     fixes propagation in branches
>
> I just expose our thinks aloud  :-)
> I'd add
>
>     * full time tester-developer, which do only job as get from
>     CVS sources, to MAC and WIN, build tests and run them, as often
>     as possible.
>
> This will almost double requirement for our team :-))

Again, think you think it wrong. When you branch a version, the you
basically leave that version behind. You don't develop it any more, you
don't upload it anymore, just once - UNLESS something seriously show up
effecting many who are using this the "officially stable branch" version.
THEN you may need to do work on this branch/version and upload and maybe
this only affect VCOM and only VCOM would need upload etc. You don't know.
This  is kinda "in case of" to give a secure base for your customers.

You must think this, your program is not a normal program, it is a "tool"
used of other developers in THEIR programs. Developing such tool actually
bound you to certain responsibility. Please don't misunderstand me, I think
you are VERY responsive person and VERY serious about what you do. Don't
make this a big problem for you as whole this discussion came up to help you
I think, because people like you and what you do.

I think what you need to do is to take some time, with an open mind, to look
at this with Source Control and give it some time to understand and then
conclude how it best can work for you. Don't make to soon and hasty
conclusions, work load, extra developers etc. wait until you have a good
picture and more understanding.

Ok 2.5 branching may not be needed, I can live with that, so maybe later.
One way to look at it is like a special type of "backup", but more
functional and dynamic.

/Joakim