Release Schedules and Feedback on Fixes

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Fri Dec 15 21:00:18 CST 2006

> > bee better? Instead of 2.6, use the time to study branching and a
> > source control tool, like CVS, Subversion or what ever you
> like to use.
> >
> > Ok that's it from me about this.
>
> I see.
>
> In other words you say:
>
>     do not make for us 2.6 version with SQL VIEWS and
>     UTF-8 support in nearest time?
>
> :-)

No! I say, do not make for us 2.6 version wit SQL VIEWS and UTF-8 support in
nearest time, UNLESS you don't force us to force on our customers changes
they don't want or need to get another problem fixed.

This is I realease my app tomorrow, based on Valentina 2.5, in 3 months ( or
even 1) a bug shows up that need to be fixed for my app to work properly. If
I can't have this fix, without changing to Valentina 2.6 and all wath that
takes and comes with it, then something is out of (time) line. But all this
has been said many times now and I think you start to understand what it's
about.

Just let me tell you, I had this exact sam eproblem before, although a bit
different as I develop another type of program. I started a new version
doing some drastic changes and just as if it was on order, some days later I
serious problem showed up with the old (still current) version. The problem
was though I didn't really had that source in a usable state so I could
pinpoint the problem, as I had just built on the old source. This caused a
lot of problem and to solve it had to promis free upgrade of next version to
keep them calm.

Now I keep the current version intact and continue to develop from a "copy"
of it, or branch, and don't have to worry. If something shows up, I can just
upgrade/update to next version as users mostly don't want that, not in
relation to a problem. If you do good product, they will upgrade sooner or
later, when it fits them. I don't use a "true" branching system as CVS or
Subvision, but the idea is the same. As I am just one developer, I can keep
it simpler.

To avoid misunderstanding, just let me finish with saying that I already
love Valentina, I think she is taken care of by a great team, gets great
support etc. and I don't want to slow down her development BUT I don't think
it's fair if this should force me to take decisions about my own product
that I may not feel ready to do etc. in case she happens to take a sidestep.
I release my app tomorrow based on V2.5 and I plan to maintain this release
for about a year, meanwhile I develop NEXT STEP for later release when time
show to be right. During this time I want to be able relying on V2.5 to be
with me as well also if I run into trouble. When I release next step, I use
other version of Valentina etc. That's all about it.

/Joakim