V4REV update -- docs -- methods, classes

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Sep 2 07:33:19 CDT 2005

On Sep 2, 2005, at 12:48 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>> Yes, sort of.  Really you are using functions in all cases.  If you
>> are talking about Valentina methods in general then you would say
>> Valentina handlers.  If you are talking about a particular handler
>> like Valentina_CacheSize() you would say Valentina_CacheSize()
>> function.  You could get away with referring to Valentina handlers as
>> Valentina functions since you don't use any commands.
>
> Moment.
>
> So it is of for Rev readers if I use :
>
>     Valentina functions ?
>
>     function xxx()  ?

Yes.

> So problem is only in the word "method" ???
> Hmm....read below:
>
>>> ------------------------
>>> Classes, well, Valentina is pointed as Object-Relational DBMS.
>>>
>>> So Valentina engine itself can be considered as having classes,
>>> Even if it is accessed from procedural language.
>>>
>>> I just do not see good replace for "class" VDatabase
>>>
>>> Do you see such, Trevor ?
>>>

>> Hmm, I see what you are saying.  The problem is that class may be a
>> very foreign word to some people using Revolution.  It is possible
>> that anyone using Valentina will be somewhat familiar with what a
>> class is, I don't know.
>
>> Within Transcript you aren't using VDataBase as a class though.  To
>> use VDataBase I am not creating a new VDataBase object that I am
>> calling methods on.  I am simply calling handlers that are prefixed
>> with "VDataBase_".  I think you could get away with just referring to
>> them as the VDatabase Handlers.  To the Revolution developer, that is
>> all they are and I think it would make more sense when they are
>> reading the docs.
>>

> question:
>
>     does Revolution team promise add some OO features to future
>     versions? It seems I have hear about this.
>
> If YES, then I think we can go forward with our classes and methods,
> Because e.g. 6-12 months ago, this will become feature of Rev
> itself...

There has been talk of adding some OO features in Rev but there is no
public timeline for when this might be added or what it will entail.
Either way, I don't know that this affects your current
documentation.  The V4REV external is just a collection of handlers
made available through Transcript.  Even though you use classes in
your C++ code, those are not exposed to the user.  I still recommend
fixing your documentation.  You need to speak the developers language.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com