[V4RB] Using BinaryLinks

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Feb 25 23:47:33 CST 2005

On 2/25/05 7:03 PM, "Frank Schima" <macsforever2000 at axint.net> wrote:

Hi Frank,

Btw, I think we can have such feature as

    convert ObjectPtr link <=> binaryLink.

We already have

    RDB link    => ObjectPtr link

In short this task can be and should be resolved.

>> And you self read it and do in loop AddRecord for BinaryLink
>
> OK. That is good to get me started. Although my situation is more
> complex. I am converting lots of flat files (text and "exported"
> spreadsheets) and exported Hypercard stacks into a single Valentina
> database.

> Is there some reason I cannot (in the future) use ImportText and select
> the binary_link in a cursor?

But you cannot SELECT binary link!
What this means?

    SELECT link_name FROM ???
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No way.

It is possible of course invent a little own SQL,
E.g. We have in SQL92 syntax

    Table T     =   SELECT * FROM T

So I think we can easy do:

    Link L

And this will show 2 (n) columns that should pairs of RecId of linked
records. Hmm, good idea!

And this can be returns as cursor somehow...
Frank, please add this to Mantis!

> Of course it requires 2 values. One of the
> values is from the RecID of the current record in the cursor (which
> internally Valentina must know), the other is the value from the import
> file. The problem might be how does Valentina know which is A and which
> is B? But I think it should be obvious in the case of 1:M.

I have not understand your idea.
Please explain more.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com