[V4RB] Using BinaryLinks

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at axint.net
Fri Feb 25 10:03:29 CST 2005

Hi Ruslan,

On Feb 25, 2005, at 4:17 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> 1) I very wonder that you import inti ObjectPtr field.
>     this is danger.
>     how you do this?
>     danger because if your exported db have deleted records
>     you will get wrong results.
>
>     so I wonder !?!

It is a one time conversion. There are no deleted records. It works
perfect with ObjectPtrs.

> 2) BinaryLink require pair of RecIDs:
>
>             BinaryLink.AddRecord( recA, recB )
>
> It is not enough specify just one value.
>
> 3) for now I think only way is that you EXPORT from your main db a
> text file
> that have 2 columns
>
>             1 2
>             1 3
>             1 4
>             2 8
>
> And you self read it and do in loop AddRecord for BinaryLink

OK. That is good to get me started. Although my situation is more
complex. I am converting lots of flat files (text and "exported"
spreadsheets) and exported Hypercard stacks into a single Valentina
database.

Is there some reason I cannot (in the future) use ImportText and select
the binary_link in a cursor? Of course it requires 2 values. One of the
values is from the RecID of the current record in the cursor (which
internally Valentina must know), the other is the value from the import
file. The problem might be how does Valentina know which is A and which
is B? But I think it should be obvious in the case of 1:M.

Best regards,
Frank Schima