[V4RB] Using BinaryLinks

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Feb 25 13:17:09 CST 2005

On 2/25/05 3:59 AM, "Frank Schima" <macsforever2000 at axint.net> wrote:

Hi Frank,

> I am trying to convert my database to use BinaryLinks instead of
> ObjectPtrs. I see how to create them, but I am having trouble importing
> values into them from ImportText. Currently, I can import into
> ObjectPtr fields using ImportText. But my attempt to do the same with a
> BinaryLink failed.
>
> ImportText into ObjectPtr:
>     myCursor = SqlSelect("SELECT myObjectPtr FROM MyTable", ...)
>     myCursor.ImportText(importFile, chr(9), chr(13), "ASCII")
>
> This works fine.
>
> But when I try the same with a BinaryLink, it does not import anything.
>     myCursor = SqlSelect("SELECT my_binary_link FROM MyTable", ...)
>     myCursor.ImportText(importFile, chr(9), chr(13), "ASCII")
>
> How can I import values into a BinaryLink? It would be nice if I could
> use ImportText but a workaround would be nice too.

So let's think together on this task.

1) I very wonder that you import inti ObjectPtr field.
    this is danger.
    how you do this?
    danger because if your exported db have deleted records
    you will get wrong results.

    so I wonder !?!

2) BinaryLink require pair of RecIDs:

            BinaryLink.AddRecord( recA, recB )

It is not enough specify just one value.

3) for now I think only way is that you EXPORT from your main db a text file
that have 2 columns

            1 2
            1 3
            1 4
            2 8

And you self read it and do in loop AddRecord for BinaryLink

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com