[V4RB] Using BinaryLinks

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Feb 25 13:12:05 CST 2005

On 2/25/05 3:59 AM, "Frank Schima" <macsforever2000 at axint.net> wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,
>

> I am trying to convert my database to use BinaryLinks instead of
> ObjectPtrs. I see how to create them, but I am having trouble importing
> values into them from ImportText. Currently, I can import into
> ObjectPtr fields using ImportText. But my attempt to do the same with a
> BinaryLink failed.
>
> ImportText into ObjectPtr:
>     myCursor = SqlSelect("SELECT myObjectPtr FROM MyTable", ...)
>     myCursor.ImportText(importFile, chr(9), chr(13), "ASCII")
>
> This works fine.
>
> But when I try the same with a BinaryLink, it does not import anything.
>     myCursor = SqlSelect("SELECT my_binary_link FROM MyTable", ...)
>     myCursor.ImportText(importFile, chr(9), chr(13), "ASCII")
>
> How can I import values into a BinaryLink? It would be nice if I could
> use ImportText but a workaround would be nice too.

Another task TODO for Binary Links.
Good point Frank.

Well, when I will write docs for binary Link in the nearest time,
I will consider this tasks on high level.

BinaryLink this is NOT a table, and NOT a field.
So you cannot create cursor for it.

ObjectPtr was easy put on SQL model, because this is a field.
BinaryLink -- this is pure link. So we need invent way and implement it for
each operation...

If you or somebody have any ideas about BinaryLinks please tell us.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com