V4RB, Jon, project

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Sep 15 14:31:56 CDT 2004

>> Jon, what may be escaping you is that valentina 2 will use utf16 as
>> its internal encoding for storing all content. However, it will do
>> on-the-fly conversion to/from encoding you specified. So the
>> encoding and language are just field properties so do speak.
>>
>> Robert
>
> We've been back and forth on this so much in the last year that
> frankly I've lost track of the internal encoding. If this is the
> "final answer", then the whole discussion is moot and all storage is
> 16 bit/character. If so, there is NO problem specifying UTF-8 for
> VString because the string length is fixed.
>
> Ruslan, please clarify this.

I have not catch your point guys.

* internally engine always work in UTF16

* so even if RB give me UTF8 string, I convert it to UTF16.
    when I write to disk I convert it from UTF16 to encoding
    which you have specify in the property StorageEncoding.

* fixed size Vstring with UTF8 cause the most big problems.
    VarChar field less problems.
    Vtext no problems because no top limit.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com