V4RB, Jon, project

jda jda at his.com
Wed Sep 15 07:46:51 CDT 2004

>  > Ruslan, please clarify this.
>
>I have not catch your point guys.
>
>* internally engine always work in UTF16
>
>* so even if RB give me UTF8 string, I convert it to UTF16.
>     when I write to disk I convert it from UTF16 to encoding
>     which you have specify in the property StorageEncoding.
>
>* fixed size Vstring with UTF8 cause the most big problems.
>     VarChar field less problems.
>     Vtext no problems because no top limit.

Good, that's what I had thought -- we do specify the way the data are
stored, and Valentina converts whatever it is to UTF-16 for internal
manipulation (searches, sorts, etc.).

But I'm still confused. You said we can change the encoding on a
field-by-field basis. But is that the *storageEncoding*? If it is,
that solves all problems, because we can use UTF-16 for VString and
UTF-8 for VText if we want. If it is not the storageEncoding (which
I'm guessing is the case, because there is a global property for
that) then it doesn't help.

So the question again, better phrased, is might it be possible to
assign a different storageEncoding for each field? If not now, is
that feasible to implement?

Jon