ICU / icudt26b.dat file on OS X

jda jda at his.com
Tue May 11 10:48:23 CDT 2004

>Hi All,
>
>Wow, I have found this big 8 MB file in the OS X !
>It is located in the
>
>     /usr/share/icu
>
>Please check that you also have it on your computers.
>Interesting, it looks that OS X 10.2 already have it also.
>
>This is interesting, because then we have chance to NOT distribute this 8MB
>file with Vcomponents folder for OS X.
>
>On the other hand may be better have it.
>-- then we get Vcomponents folder THE SAME for all platforms and products.
>
>BTW, that file can be made smaller.
>Not 8 MB but just 3.5 MB. May be even less.

Can you put the pathname in non-Unix terms please? I can only find an
empty folder called ICU in the Application Support folder.

As to your question, I would very much like to *avoid* distributing
the unicode library for OS X if possible! So I would certainly vote
for allowing us to use the OS X version (we have to build different
distribution packages for each platform anyway, so why not let us
tailor them to best take advantage of the libraries already installed
by the OS?

Jon