ICU / icudt26b.dat file on OS X

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue May 11 20:00:21 CDT 2004

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Wow, I have found this big 8 MB file in the OS X !
>> It is located in the
>>
>>     /usr/share/icu
>>
>> Please check that you also have it on your computers.
>> Interesting, it looks that OS X 10.2 already have it also.
>>
>> This is interesting, because then we have chance to NOT distribute this 8MB
>> file with Vcomponents folder for OS X.
>>
>> On the other hand may be better have it.
>> -- then we get Vcomponents folder THE SAME for all platforms and products.
>>
>> BTW, that file can be made smaller.
>> Not 8 MB but just 3.5 MB. May be even less.
>>

> Can you put the pathname in non-Unix terms please? I can only find an
> empty folder called ICU in the Application Support folder.

John, I think you should in search add "visible all"

Path must be

    system volume:usr:share:icu

> As to your question, I would very much like to *avoid* distributing
> the unicode library for OS X if possible!

> So I would certainly vote for allowing us to use the OS X version (we have to
> build different distribution packages for each platform anyway, so why not let
> us tailor them to best take advantage of the libraries already installed by
> the OS?

Agree, but you sure you will make different archives?

V4RB is CARBON, i.e. ready for OS 9 also.

So you will make 2 Carbon archives? For OS X and OS 9?
I think we will not have Classic target for 2.0.
Because nothing modern not works in Classic: threads, icu, ...

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com