RAM-based Database/Vsets,Vlinks and VServer

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Aug 2 22:43:06 CDT 2004

On 8/2/04 10:16 PM, "Sims, John" <AYU8 at CDC.GOV> wrote:

Hi John,

> I saw your Index_String test results.  Congratulations!

Thank you, but I have made one more test and it fails.
Debugging.

> I have been working on some early concept ideas for a new project and I
> remembered something you said about Valentina 2.0 as quoted below:
>
>> * RAM-based database
>
> Does this mean the entire database will be able to exist only in RAM
> with nothing written to the disk?

Yes, and you should understand that db must fit into YOUR computer RAM.

> If so, will there be a way to create
> a database in RAM and then, if desired, write the database to disk?  If
> not, I would like to make a feature request :-)

Not implemented, but yes this is good feature.
And later raise from disk to RAM.

> As you know, I'm a V4RB user, so something like...
>
> vdbData.WriteToDisk(inFolderItem as FolderItem)
>
> ...would be nice.  The opposite would be nice also...
>
> vdbData.WriteToRAM()
>
> ...this would take a database that exists on disk and create a RAM-based
> version of it.

Correct. In similar way work RAM based dbs.
They work many hours in RAM but can make image on disk.

> I would not be doing this for speed reasons...Valentina is plenty fast.

But RAM-based database will be even several times faster!!!!!
5-10 times I think.

> It is hard to explain how I would use this.  I just got the idea for
> this project on a plane flight last week and I still do not have a good
> picture of how the software would work, but I believe these features
> would really make my idea easier to bring to reality.

Also note, in regular disk based database we will be able do
    TMP RAM-based small tables.

> Also, while I have your attention, I have been looking at the new Vsets
> and Vlinks.  Very nice!!!  I was wondering if Vsets are going to work
> with Valentina Server once it is converted to work with the 2.0 kernel.

Yes, we have decide put all this functionality to Vserver also.
This have sense at least for fast intranet network.
If you have 1Gb network, then it will act not slower of HDD.

> If so, will we be able to declare Vsets as Server-side or Client-side
> similar to Vcursors?

Not on start. We also have think about this.
Require time to implement.

> I can imagine creating several Vsets Server-side
> then creating a Client-side Vset that is the intersection/union of the
> Server-side Vsets so that most of the work is done on the server then
> the result set that I want is returned to me so I can work with it
> Client-side.

Exactly!   you watch directly into ROOT! :-)

Such feature will allow us reduce network traffic.

Sets and Links this are tools of Navigational Model in the first turn.
Having server-side sets and ability do operations on server,
We can be effective almost as SQL and cursor.

Although to be exactly effective as SQL or even better we need server-side
scripts based e.g. On Phyton or Java

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com