RAM-based Database/Vsets,Vlinks and VServer

Sims, John AYU8 at CDC.GOV
Mon Aug 2 15:16:27 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan,

I saw your Index_String test results.  Congratulations!

I have been working on some early concept ideas for a new project and I
remembered something you said about Valentina 2.0 as quoted below:

<quote>

Hi All,

I think we will start to grow list of new features that we have
implement on
2.0 engine.

Igor, Alex, Sergey, Ivan, Yuri, please participate in this.
I will start below template of list, and let's grow it.
Everybody know his tasks so mention them.

So, this is FIRST DRAFT made in 10 minutes by me.

KERNEL

* RAM-based database

</quote>

Does this mean the entire database will be able to exist only in RAM
with nothing written to the disk?  If so, will there be a way to create
a database in RAM and then, if desired, write the database to disk?  If
not, I would like to make a feature request :-)

As you know, I'm a V4RB user, so something like...

vdbData.WriteToDisk(inFolderItem as FolderItem)

...would be nice.  The opposite would be nice also...

vdbData.WriteToRAM()

...this would take a database that exists on disk and create a RAM-based
version of it.

I would not be doing this for speed reasons...Valentina is plenty fast.
It is hard to explain how I would use this.  I just got the idea for
this project on a plane flight last week and I still do not have a good
picture of how the software would work, but I believe these features
would really make my idea easier to bring to reality.

Also, while I have your attention, I have been looking at the new Vsets
and Vlinks.  Very nice!!!  I was wondering if Vsets are going to work
with Valentina Server once it is converted to work with the 2.0 kernel.
If so, will we be able to declare Vsets as Server-side or Client-side
similar to Vcursors?  I can imagine creating several Vsets Server-side
then creating a Client-side Vset that is the intersection/union of the
Server-side Vsets so that most of the work is done on the server then
the result set that I want is returned to me so I can work with it
Client-side.

I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around these great new features!

Thanks for your time.

- John