Index corruption on database close

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Mon Jul 21 16:03:45 CDT 2014

I encountered this problem using V5RB 5.5.5, but am able to reproduce it in Valentina Studio 5.5.5.

I open my database and reindex the database.  Then I view my table in VS.  I click on the cCatnum field header and it reorders the records correctly.  I close the database and reopen.  I view the same table and the indexing is fine.

So far, so good.

Then I use this SQL on my database:
	SELECT Issues.cTitle, Issues.recid, Issues.cTitleIdx, Issues.cCatnum FROM Issues ORDER BY Issues.cTitleIdx, Issues.cCatnum

This produces the correct list with cTitleIdx and cCatnum ordering the records correctly.

I then close the database and reopen.  Then I view the table and click on the cCatnum field header.  The indexing is corrupt.  I run the same SQL as above and the listed records seem to be ignoring the cCatnum field and only ordering on the cTitleIdx field.

In effect, closing and opening the database after doing a query using the cTitleIdx and cCatnum fields for ORDER BY is corrupting the cCatnum index.

I'm baffled.  I looked at the release notes for version 5.5.8 but I don't see anything addressing indexing issues.

I guess I should add this to Mantis....

Steve

--
Steve Albin, Montclair, NJ