Cache Size -- why not dynamic

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Jan 6 10:20:49 CST 2014

On 1/6/14, 10:12 AM, "Beatrix Willius" <bwillius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Let me make an analogy: this is like driving manual vs. automatic transmission
> in a car. The automatic is okay for 99% of all driving. Yet in Europe the
> portion of drivers with manual is still 2/3.
>
> I want of course the duplex clutch (in principle two clutches where one is
> always de-clutched while you change the other) :-) .
>
> When did Valentina ever not try to be in front of technology? Give us a
> flexible system that works for most cases with the possibility to override.

Myself like auto- transmission  :-)

But analogy is not perfect,
Because cache size you assign only once on start.
You have no need to change it on each action.

But anyway, discussion have bring idea to my head:
    what if engine look on db to be opened, on its size and decide

And again I should say no.

RAM still is important thing, to allow to engine decide self.

* what if few dbs?

* when should engine stop to grow cache?
  you say you have big dbs ... Let 30-100 GB ...
   Machine have 8-16GB RAM ...

  when engine should stop?  100MB?  1GB?  Else?

There is no general answer.