Cache Size -- why not dynamic

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Jan 5 12:37:41 CST 2014

On 1/5/14, 2:38 PM, "jda" <jda at his.com> wrote:

>>> Why has the cache size set to be a fixed value in 2014? Shouldn¹t this be
>>> handled dynamically?
>>
>> No dynamic changes.
>>

> This is an old, old feature request of mine.

:-)

What sense you can see here?
   Try to make 5-8 lines of specification of this feature.

Let me answer - why this should be fixed.

* because this is not just to use RAM.
     this is caching of disk operations,
     this can be linked future to transactions mechanism
     this is very not simple area.

* because increase cache from 10Mb to 50 Mb not always affects performance.
Depends on many things.

* Because CACHE SIZE, is not the only RAM, which Valentina uses.
 It can use a lots of other RAM of course.

* and because it can use RAM without limits, we even did think about one
more parameter, for example
        MaxRamToUse =2 GB

This may be interesting e.g. for web servers, where other apps can also run.
But this is even more hard feature todo and not so useful for most of us.