Changing maxlength on Varchar causes hard crash in Windows XP

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Tue Oct 22 20:50:20 CDT 2013

I have the following Xojo code where upDBFile is defined as a VDatabase and successfully opened:
  dim BaseObject as VTable
  dim fld As VField
  dim vcfld As VVarChar

  BaseObject = upDBFile.Table( "Songs" )
  vcfld = BaseObject.VarCharField("cTitle")
  vcfld.MaxLength = 512
  upDBfile.Flush

As I step through the Xojo debugger, my app hard crashes in Windows XP when I step to the upDBFile.Flush.  I've looked at the vlog and it does not show any error that I can see.  The last fiew lines are as follows:

Field_GetIsNull...
	PARAM: inFld = 160427616
return res = 0

Field_GetStorageEncoding...
	PARAM: inField = 160427616
return res = "UTF-16"

Field_GetLocaleName...
	PARAM: inField = 160427616
return res = "en_US"

Field_GetSize...
	PARAM: inFld = 160427616
return res = 7329712

Field_GetIndexStyle...
	PARAM: inFld = 160427616
return res = 161523848

Any ideas on why this is happening. It works fine on the Mac. Only crashes in Windows.  I'm running V4RB 5.4.3.

Steve

--
Steve Albin, Montclair, NJ
http://www.steve-albin.com