More on V4RB 4.8.1 apps crashing after install of V4RB 5.3.4

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri Oct 11 15:20:23 CDT 2013

I should clarify that I am abandoning the class way for defining the database tables.  I still create a subclass of VDatabase, but I don't create classes for all the tables.  I find that if your VTable classes do not match your database EXACTLY, then you can have problems.  Of course, this should be true - they should match.  But, in practice I've found that database schemas easily change.  Fields that had no default defined get a default NULL defined.  Fields that were not defined as indexed get indexed.  I suspect as Valentina versions change, schemas get updated in subtle ways that may effect how the VTable classes should be defined.

There is no need to use the VTable classes.  Valentina knows what the database contains already.  I create subclasses of VCursor and do all my access of the database via SQL.

My one application where I switched to not using classes for opening the tables is much more stable.  I realize that I may have been using the table classes incorrectly, but I'll take success however I find it.

Steve

--
Steve Albin, Montclair, NJ
http://www.steve-albin.com