VRev ADK + Val Studio = Best Practice

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:33:09 CDT 2012

I've can't claim best practice, but I notice in some of my older stacks
I've commented out
vDatabase_IsOpen(tDbRef)
or
vConnection_IsConnected(tDbRef)
and ended up with
Valentina_DatabaseCount()

The first two return TRUE if you have a connection, and are empty if not.
The last one returns the number of connected DBs or 0 if none.

In my case I've used a simple IF statement to test for a connection and if
not I pop up an ask dialog to advise that the DB is no longer connected and
that I need to reconnect with the choice to cancel or proceed.

if (Valentina_DatabaseCount() = 0) then --no DB connection
  ask "The DB Connection is lost. Do you wish to reconnect?" with "No" or
"Yes" titled "DB Connection Lost"
  put it into tAnswer
  if (tAnswer = "Yes) then
    put fDbOpen() into tDbRef
    put fDbQuery(tQuery,tDbRef) into tData
  else --don't proceed
    exit to top
  end if
else --there is a DB connection
  put fDbQuery(tQuery,tDbRef) into tData
end if

I can't remember why I abandoned the first two in favour of the last.

In my case I'm only currently dealing with single embedded DBs (although
tentatively playing with using V Office Server - see previous posts) so
Valentina_DatabaseCount() gives me an answer that is suitable. I imagine in
a Server environment where you may be connected to several DBs a simple
count will not give you the necessary info that you have a valid connection
to a particular DB. Where multiple DBs are involved I'd assume
_IsConnected(tDbRef) or _IsOpen(tDbRef) would provide a definitive response.

HTH