Valentina Report -- .vsp file format, multi-language Labels in reports

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Fri Mar 16 02:42:18 CDT 2012

On 3/16/12 9:37 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com>
wrote:

> On 3/16/12 9:29 AM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at cognosis.be> wrote:
>
>> One more vote for adding translations to reports.
>> As to how: maybe have a look at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/
>>

>> thx
>
> My first vision of this feature is next:
>

> A) on PROJECT level user can specify language he want support,
> This can be changed later when reports exists
>
>     so we get simple dialog and choose language
>
>         English         en
>         German        de
>         Franch           fr
>

> B) After this, for each lable, we can double click to open list of its
> values:
>
>         en          Name
>         de          XXXX
>         fr           YYYY
>

> C) Also can be kind of inheritance between project and reports,
> So user can define common lables on project level,
> Specify some language as primary  (e.g. English),
> After this in few reports  I just specify
>
>     [Name]
>
> And system self link this to PROJECT-level  "Name" and its translations.
>
> It is clear why this is cool. One place to change/correct Name lable, and
> all reports that use this will get correction ...

Of course exists other things to improve here:

D) In diff languages words can be different length.
So may happens that report designed in EN will be broken in Russian, because
Lable do not have enough space

    Solution:  designer must be smart enough to check all in background
    and mark problematic labels automatically.

E) another improve can be show same reports two times page to page,
In EN and e.g. German languages, so I can see two pages easy and compare may
be ...