RB: Vserver returns ISOLatin1 and not UTF-8

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Aug 21 11:14:35 CDT 2012

On 8/21/12 2:14 PM, "Karl Grob" <kgrob at mus.ch> wrote:

Hi Karl,

> For a long time I worked with a local DB. Everything seemed to be ok.
>
> In the last 3 days I tried to put the whole thing on my little server (MacOS
> 10.8). Result: all german "Umlaute" (öäü etc.) and many other Chars (> 127 of
> course) gave strange results and the Listbox filled with the results crashed
> without any exception (fluff - that was it). After a certain amount of time I
> found that the following code did the job (at least until now):
>
>        s = cur.VarCharField("fldTunedText").GetString
>        s = s.DefineEncoding(encodings.ISOLatin1)
>        s = s.ConvertEncoding(Encodings.UTF8)
>
> The collation attributes are:
>
> me.LocaleName = "German"
> me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kAlternateHandling) =
> EVColAttributeValue.kNonIgnorable
> me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kCaseFirst) = EVColAttributeValue.kOFF
> me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kCaseLevel) = EVColAttributeValue.kOFF
> me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kFrenchCollation) =
> EVColAttributeValue.kON
> me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kHiraganaQuaternaryMode) =
> EVColAttributeValue.kOFF
> me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kNormalizationMode) =
> EVColAttributeValue.kOFF
> me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kStrength) =
> EVColAttributeValue.kIdentical
>
> DB ist UTF16
>
> Testing shows, that this is not new: 4.9.1 has the same behavior.

Same to which version?  First try was with 5.0 beta?  Or 4.x ?

> I always thought that the returned encoding should be UTF8.
>
> Best regards Karl
>
> PS: I tried sending to Beta, but the mail was returned.  As explained, it is
> also 4.9.1

* So it seems you have try 5.0 beta at first, then 4.9   ok.

* And this is REALbasic, right?

* VSERVER is on MAC,   REALbasic app I guess on the same computer.

* have you made Valentina.InitClient() ?

Note that for REALbasic, if you work with VCLIENT, calls must be exactly as:

Valentina.InitC( cache, SN, ... )
Valentina.InitClient( clientCache )

Exactly this order.
And Valentina.Init() still required even for client ...

Please check this point