RB: Vserver returns ISOLatin1 and not UTF-8

Karl Grob kgrob at mus.ch
Tue Aug 21 06:14:48 CDT 2012

Hi

For a long time I worked with a local DB. Everything seemed to be ok.

In the last 3 days I tried to put the whole thing on my little server (MacOS 10.8). Result: all german "Umlaute" (öäü etc.) and many other Chars (> 127 of course) gave strange results and the Listbox filled with the results crashed without any exception (fluff - that was it). After a certain amount of time I found that the following code did the job (at least until now):

       s = cur.VarCharField("fldTunedText").GetString
       s = s.DefineEncoding(encodings.ISOLatin1)
       s = s.ConvertEncoding(Encodings.UTF8)

The collation attributes are:

me.LocaleName = "German"
me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kAlternateHandling) = EVColAttributeValue.kNonIgnorable
me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kCaseFirst) = EVColAttributeValue.kOFF
me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kCaseLevel) = EVColAttributeValue.kOFF
me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kFrenchCollation) = EVColAttributeValue.kON
me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kHiraganaQuaternaryMode) = EVColAttributeValue.kOFF
me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kNormalizationMode) = EVColAttributeValue.kOFF
me.CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kStrength) = EVColAttributeValue.kIdentical

DB ist UTF16

Testing shows, that this is not new: 4.9.1 has the same behavior.

I always thought that the returned encoding should be UTF8.

Best regards Karl

PS: I tried sending to Beta, but the mail was returned.  As explained, it is also 4.9.1