Lion and case-insensitive isue. No issue !!

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Sep 19 14:43:51 CDT 2011

On 9/19/11 5:36 PM, "Stan Busk" <maxprog at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> My app is in 18 languages, what should I do here?

See at end

> I mean, what is that setting
> for? I find nothing in your wiki
> (http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?do=search&id=localname).

Well, you can find a lots info about this in the ICU
    http://userguide.icu-project.org/locale

Or in the just Apple Cocoa API, which also just uses ICU.

Or for example this PHP page
 they all say the same in fact
        http://php.net/manual/en/class.locale.php

In the hierarchy of objects we have

1) first we create Locale

2) then using that Locale we can create Collator (sorting rules)

3) also we use internally covertors from one encoding to another.

==========
More info.

On default all these years for MAC OS X ours dbs have show in vstudio
    en_us_POSIX  locale name

As far as I see, even if todo
    db.LocaleName = "en_us_POSIX"
    db.CollationAttribute( kStrength ) = kPrimary

Then case-insensitive issue still here on my Lion.

And if to say other locale name   e.g. En_US
All start to works fine.

MAY BE ... May be ... One that some macs with Lion, somehow is broken this
default locale ... Only a guess.

============
Also I am really cannot self confirm that it is broken only on few
computers. Because my own Lion also reproduce this ...

And I have install it to clean part of HDD. Not over old 10.6

18 languages.

So your app right now do not care about locale right?

You just used system level local I think.

May be you can check on start of app, that if default loc ale is en_us_POSIX
Then set it to en_US.  For all others systems (e.g. fr_FR, de_DE, ru_RU ) -
may be it works fine?