Download "Valentina for Ruby ADK for Linux" not working?

Freddy Vulto freddy at clickhere.nl
Thu Jan 13 03:36:43 CST 2011

I'm having troubles getting the "Valentina for Ruby/on Rails" download
to work.  I followed the README and install.sh.  Example connect.rb
gives me error:

    $ ruby connect.rb
    connect.rb:9:in `require': no such file to load -- Valentina (LoadError)

Changing the require to lowercase fixes the error above:

    $ diff connect.rb connect.rb.orig
    9c9
    < require "valentina"
    ---
    > require "Valentina"

but gives me a new error:

    $ ruby connect.rb
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/valentina.so: /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/valentina.so: undefined symbol: Init_valentina - /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/valentina.so (LoadError)

Another uppercase/lowercase error?  Because I find the symbol is
"Init_Valentina" (capital V), not "Init_valentina":

    $ grep Init_valentina valentina.so
    $ grep Init_Valentina valentina.so
    Binary file valentina.so matches

How can I get Valentina to work on Ruby/Linux?

Freddy Vulto
http://www.clickhere.nl