Lets try improve docs with your help ? -- overview of vdocs

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Dec 18 03:01:24 CST 2011

On 12/18/11 12:13 AM, "Bernard Devlin" <bdrunrev at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bernard,

> I don't think the Valentina documentation is bad, well certainly not
> for V4REV/Livecode.  There were mistakes in the PDF (I pointed out all
> those I could find with my limited knowledge of Valentina).
>
> But for Livecode/Rev, we have
>   a) the PDF of the API,
    such PDFs exists yet for RB, Director, NET, COM APIs

For C++, C, ObjC,   we do not have such PDFs.
>From one side, because I think C-kind developers are
used to work with headers.

>   b) the Valentina SQL Reference,

In WIKI, yes. And this is for ALL Valentina developers

>   c) the fairly extensive example stacks.

Yes, we have 50-60 examples focused on features for most ADKs.

Also present in most ADKs TEST project, which we consider as internal,
But share to all. Its idea is to call each API func of particular ADK and
test it works and show automatic DONE/FALSE.

I personally love more feaute-based examples, yet from times of CodeWarrior.
And I do not see many sense give to users some e.g. CD-collection example
which is complete app. It can be hard for starters learn few thousands of
lines in example, also in such example main FEATURE points will be hidden by
APP-related algs and needs.

> I'm not sure that other Valentina users are as well-served as Livecode
> users in this regard.  I had a brief look at the documentation for
> Valentina for PHP and Ruby, and it did not seem as extensive.  Maybe
> the Paradigma developers feel we need more help to get started :)

No. this is not an idea :)
We really want and need simplify start for anybody and everybody.

PHP and Ruby docs are less because

A) API is much less that in normal Valentina ADK.

B) API is less because VPHP just follow on 90% to mySQL PHP driver.
Idea was that you take some PHP project around mySQL, replace  mySQL_ prefix
to Valentina_ prefix and you get working project ... This is ideal of course
:-)

VRuby also follow to their own vision to DB API.