Valentina Manual?

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Thu Sep 2 01:54:24 CDT 2010

On 9/1/10 12:27 PM, "Ubr Werner" <brainssw at mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ruslan,
>
> but there I didn't  really find what I am searching for.
>   Once there was a tutorial "Valentina for Realbasic, c1999-2000" and
> there was described how to build static classes. The current tutorial
> seems to use only a dynamic approach.

Indeed nothing about RBDB here.

Now I recall that exists RBDB example.

And in fact OUR docs have no info just because RBDB API is described in the
REALbasic docs.

You sure you need this RBDB ?
Your old app have used RBDB ?  I somehow doubt.

---------
> The project I have to update is old and relies on the class technique.

You mean Class way.
So this is exactly not RBDB.

> The latest version of the project crash RB on compiling. all previous
> RB-Version I try also do.

> When I try an earlier version of the project I get a lot of compiler
> messages that functions are not found (FirstRecord, Lastrecord,
> Set...) I am not sure to have heard that the class method is not
> supported any more but I couldn't find a certain info so I am
> searching for an actual manual or tutorial describing that method so I
> can find the error.

Well, as I have told you first you task is to check

A) if V4RB plugin and REALbasic plugin are both
    or Carbon or UB.

B) if you have take old V4RB 1.x  you must use old REALbasic of that years.

But I wonder why you may want to use OLD REALbasic ...
You will not be able compile modern UB apps for modern OS X .

----------------------
> Also a problem is that, thanks to missing version info in the
> Valentina plugin, I do not know which version the project was built
> with.

You can ask V4RB plugin  using
      Valentina.Version

> 2/2008 the project was to be updated with the actual V$RB
> Version but this version now doesn't work, the previous Version seemed
> to be from somewhere in 2003 (VRB 1.xx or so). In the lost of old V4RB
> Versions I couldn find some history info to find which version should
> be compatible to which RB Version and should work with the license
> code from 2/2008.

> It would be a mess to fiddle around and try all the version in
> combination with a project I do not know for which VRB version it was
> built.

So if I correctly understand,

You have V4RB serial from 2008 year ?
Then why you talk about V4RB 1.x ?
I think that 2008 project have use something as 3.x
And then this was quite modern project as by V4RB so by RB.

---------------------
Serial is not problem now.

I think you need take RB 2010
Install V4R 4.7

Make sure that all  this works,
    * examples V4R work
    * when you type in code Valentina ... REALbasic show auto completion.

Then try open your 2008 project.  And now you have to upgrade to from 3.x
code to 4.7.

Does it compiles?  If no then show us your first few errors from RB.

First task is make it compile and run.

Second task will be make it run correctly.
   *  you may need fix in sub-classes of Vtable constructors like in our
examples.
    * may be fix issues with date time.

If all right, project should compile and run and work 10 min even without
correct serial.