Upgrade from 1.11 VXCMD

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Fri Oct 8 01:23:13 CDT 2010

On 10/8/10 8:21 AM, "Peter McConachie" <pmccon at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

Hi Peter,

> I'm a staunch Valentina supporter looking to upgrade from VXCMD 1.11 and
> needing some assistance.
>

> Over the last 3 or so years Valentina 1.11 has worked extremely well for us
> with MetaCard 2.6.5 on Win & OSX. We are now wishing to release a business
> application and for this need to go to Rev 4.5. Existing Mac usage is around
> 45%. For the new application we expect around 20%.

> We would be more than happy to keep using 1.11 except that on OSX we need to
> force the application to run under Rosetta. Val 1.1 is still incredibly fast
> even on our customers largest databases. Stability has been fantastic - no
> problems with non-technical customers (apart from hardware failure related.)

All this sounds like good text for Testimonials :-)

> I am having difficulty with getting the information to the following
> questions from the web site.
>
> I hope you don't mind my writing directly to you - my questions are probably
> not relevant to your list. I don't mind you posting it to the list if you
> wish.

ok

> QUESTION 1: Where do I find the documentation?

> I downloaded the Rev installer hoping the documentation was in it. NO. It
> gives two links both of which do not work (one gives a 404 error & the other
> redirects incorrectly). How do I get latest pdf documentation?

Path is:

Site menu SUPPORT / WIKI

    Products / ADK / V4REV /

        Manual   REF.pdf  ...

> QUESTION 2: How do I convert from 1.11 format to the present?

> This is crucial. The database is currently encrypted (structure + tables)
> and we need an automated way to convert without exposing the passwords and
> preferably without going through an XML dump (which will expose the data to
> our users).

Ops, this is a problem now.

>From 2.0 to it seems 4.5 we did have
    convert_1_2  method in ADKs.

Then we have drop it, because this did require the whole v1 engine.

Then I afraid it sounds like you should not jump to our latest 4.7,
Instead use older 4.5 (or 4.x) which did have yet convert_1_2
Release your product, and future after convert to newer format you will be
able switch to latest 4.x or 5.x builds.

Also TIP: in wiki / V4RB section present quite detailed page about changes
from v1 to v2

> QUESTION 3: Is there a free trial of the ADK?

Yes. As usually.
10 min per start.

> I'm not clear from your site whether the  "Valentina Server Demo License"
> will apply to the the ADK. Nowhere is there any other mention of free
> trials.

This is for VSERVER.

Btw, as William (REV user) like underline here, it can be very good idea to
use VSERVER DEMO (free) and Your app for development.

> QUESTION 4: Database size
> My recollection from a number of years ago was that Val 2.0+ significantly
> increased the file size due to the inclusion of the Unicode library. I can't
> remember if this was in database file size or only in the library size. What
> is the effect?

On OS X now we use ICU from OS X itself.
So was reduced many MB.

On Windows we use ICU dlls of course, they add it seems 4-5MB to engine.

> QUESTION 5: Did you ever release a Universal binary VXCMD 1.11?
> I imagine not but I'll ask anyhow.

nope

> QUESTION 6: Why should I change?
> Overall there are still a lot of unknowns upgrading from 1.11.

> One option is to force users on mac to run under Rosetta. This is really
> simple for us to implement & we can implement this today.
>
> It's not the best solution & I'm certain Valentina has improved dramatically
> - however I cannot seem to find the information to make an informed
> decision.

Well, you can read our BLOB, but it was started from 4.0 I think
You can read ChangeLog in our mantis to see tons of issues implemented.

You can read in wiki SQL reference, to see how many times have grow SQL.
And so on

> Do you have any comparisons say 1.11 >> 2.00 or maybe later verions to
> assist?

I think you can try search list archives around 2.0 ship.
Also on our site and wiki was list of old Public releases.