Question About Segment Errors

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri May 7 13:24:43 CDT 2010

On 5/7/10 at 1:38 PM, ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com (Ruslan
Zasukhin) wrote:

>On 7/5/10 8:06 PM, "jda" <jda at his.com> wrote:
>
>>>  I used to
>>> create a cursor something like "SELECT * FROM myTable" which
>>> would obviously include the VText fields and then update
>>> whichever fields needed updating.  I since changed to only
>>> select the non-VText fields and update those.  If a notes field
>>> is changing, then I create a separate cursor containing only
>>> that field and update or add separately.
>>>

>>Interesting. I update each field when the user is finished
>>entering/editing (I do this in REALStudio on the LostFocus event, if
>>that matters). So only one field is updated at a time (actually two
>>fields, the VText field and a corresponding vBlob field that contains
>>styled text data). Does updating two fields at once trigger this rare
>>event (the bug I mean)? Of course I can't say.
>
>As far as I see, Steve talks about
>
>SELECT * FROM T
>
>Selects all e.g. 20 fields of table. And e.g. 3 of them are TEXTs.
>Then he CHANGE only few fields, which are not TEXTs...
>And do Update().

This is the way I was doing it.  Just to be clear, I do not mix
VText with any fields when doing updating.  In other words, I no
longer use SELECT * from T.  I use SELECT T.nonVTextFLD1,
T.nonVTextFLD2, etc.

If I need to update a VText field, I create a separate cursor to
read and then update.

To be honest, I made this change with many unrelated changes to
my app so I can't verify that this made the difference.  I only
know that I don't see this problem any longer.

Steve