Question About Segment Errors

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri May 7 11:59:11 CDT 2010

I'll add my bit on this and you can take it for what it is
worth.  I develop as a "hobbyist" and do not have a large user
base, so I don't have vast experience.  I used to encounter
these segment errors occasionally with VText fields.  I used
them to allow users to add free form notes to a record.  I was
not checking the return code on the updates to the DB
(amateurish, I know) so I would not see when the errors were
occurring.  I would only see the errors on doing a diagnose.  I
suspect my users were making the update and then the update
would "disappear" and they would then re-enter new notes.  I can
only surmise.  Again, this is not a commercial app so it is only
my reputation among friends and not my livelihood that I have to
worry about.

The point is, these problems went away when I changed the
application to update the VText fields separately.  I used to
create a cursor something like "SELECT * FROM myTable" which
would obviously include the VText fields and then update
whichever fields needed updating.  I since changed to only
select the non-VText fields and update those.  If a notes field
is changing, then I create a separate cursor containing only
that field and update or add separately.

I'm not saying this is the solution, but it seemed to solve my
problem.  It may just be I'm just lucky though.  I am using V4RB
4.3 now and I had seen these problems as far back as V4RB 2.

I hope this adds some light to the discussion.

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ  - USA
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/