foreign key constraint - other issues

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Wed Jan 27 06:04:52 CST 2010

On 1/27/10 1:52 PM, "Bernard Devlin" <bdrunrev at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bernard,

>>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin
>> let me clarify - you work now with 4.3 RELEASE.
>> Right?
>
> Yes
>
>> Just be informed that we are very close to ship of 4.5 release,
>> And exists set of betas of 4.5. For example in nearest 2-3 days we should
>> produce new beta build of V4REV and others where is fixed that compressor
>> error. It will be good if you will test that beta build.
>
> OK.  Well now you've shut me up.  I'm amazed to see you fix something
> so quickly.  I would have expected to wait a year or two to see a bug
> fix.

Well, not each issue can be solved so fast.
But most usually can be

I wonder, you have not see letter from our Mantis about
    ISSUE XXXXX RESOLVED ?

This is main advantage to use mantis. REPORTER should get letters about each
change on the issue.

>> 500 entries - you mean 500+ records in the table, right?
>>
> Yes. There are 500 or so records.  One TEXT field in each record
> contains a file.  The average size of the files is about 1mb.
>
> But please tell me that Valentina should be able to cope with
> thousands (or millions) of TEXT fields that contain more than 10mb of
> data?

Yes it should be.

Just I believe you are first who try such big amounts for BLOBs/Text.
We need of course do special stress testing for such mode.

For example, that compressor bug, become visible only from many MB size of
BLOBs.

Usually developers tend to not save huge files into DB files, instead they
put them into folder, and only path/name store into DB.

>> This is URL to download
>>    http://www.valentina-db.com/download/beta/
>>
>> choose latest possible beta.
>>    http://www.valentina-db.com/download/beta/4.5b7/
>
> I will try.

One more point.

Working with your DB and big TEXT file, Ivan have note that If in the data
editor, to open TEXT editor for that big text, it is very slow.

Igor already fixed that issue, just I not remember if it is in b7 already or
not yet.

>>> Where is the benefit for me in reporting and contesting these issue?
>>
>> Because we usually fix issues fast, and you can get new builds in 1-2 days,
>> If you want.
>
> Ok.  My turn to say 'wow' :-)  That is an incentive.

:-)

I think Ivan right now tests your dump file, you have sent us.
Will be interesting to see where is problem from.