foreign key constraint - other issues

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Wed Jan 27 05:28:17 CST 2010

On 1/26/10 2:32 PM, "Bernard Devlin" <bdrunrev at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bernard,

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin
> <ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, first of all, once again.
>>        Please do not keep silent
>>
>> Any not expected behavior - please ask questions here on directly me and
>> Ivan using our emails...
>
> There are plenty of other issues.  For example, VStudio crashes on me
> about 5 times a day.  Is there a crash log for that?

On Windows there is no crash logs.
On Mac - yes.

let me clarify - you work now with 4.3 RELEASE.
Right?

Just be informed that we are very close to ship of 4.5 release,
And exists set of betas of 4.5. For example in nearest 2-3 days we should
produce new beta build of V4REV and others where is fixed that compressor
error. It will be good if you will test that beta build.

> Sometimes I will
> write some SQL in the SQL Editor and choose to execute it.  Some
> seconds later (i.e. the progress bar has moved a little), VStudio will
> crash.  If I then re-start VStudio and run the same query again,
> VStudio will complete it without crashing.  If VStudio produces a
> crash log, then maybe you'll be able to get to the bottom of that.

ok

*************************
> Another issue was when I dumped 1 TEXT field containing 500+ entries,
> totalling about 400mb of data.

Wow :)

500 entries - you mean 500+ records in the table, right?

> Some seconds later VStudio tells me it
> has "successfully completed" the dump, but when that dialog box is
> dismissed, VStudio throws up an error saying "unknown error", and when
> I look at the SQL file produced it is only 1kb in size.  This is
> dumping 1 table to SQL!

> I would really expect something that basic
> that to work, and if it fails I think "unknown error" is an
> unimpressive diagnostic aid.  And speaking of diagnostics - when I run
> "diagnose" on that database, it tells me that everything is
> "allright".

Just if you want, may be you can try latest 4.5 beta of vstudio
Against that TEXT db?

This is URL to download
    http://www.valentina-db.com/download/beta/

choose latest possible beta.
    http://www.valentina-db.com/download/beta/4.5b7/

If problem still here, I will ask compress that db.
Then we decide where to put it FTP or else.
Ok?

***********************************
> Where is the benefit for me in reporting and contesting these issue?

Because we usually fix issues fast, and you can get new builds in 1-2 days,
If you want.

> It took so long for me to isolate what was causing the "compressor
> error" for you.  If I report all these things it is just further
> interruption to my workflow.  You made it clear you would not accept a
> 450mb database, and I'm not wasting my time removing sub-sets of data
> then re-testing to see if your errors are still there.

No, I have told we can give you access to FTP folder for such huge dbs.

Just often, mistake is not in our code, so while developer try simplify
things on HIS side, he can find own mistake.

Yes, can be bugs in Valentina also, but then also is huge benefit when you
give us simplest project/db to reproduce, then we will fix it faster.

> I'm just trying to find a subset of features that will work, then I
> will have as little as possible to do with Valentina.

I hope you have see in mantis that we have fix that Compressor error,
And length() of BLOBs.

If you want, we can produce new 4.5 beta 8 of V4REV even today I think.