V4MD: Insertion of a blank line while importing text

Ivan Smahin ivan_smahin at paradigmasoft.com
Fri Jan 22 06:41:05 CST 2010

Hello Panagiotis,

> You can try what I did: type 2-3 lines of text in VStudio, without
> blank lines in between, just 2-3 paragraphs. Import the text in
> Director using SQL commands and put it in a text member. Export the
> same field from VStudio in a text file (from Save... in Content
> Editor) and import it as text in Director. You'll notice that in the
> first case (import from Valentina DB) blank lines are inserted
> between paragraphs, while on the second case (import of txt file
> directly into a Director text member) the text appears correctly.
> I always use PC and Director 11, I wrote the text in VStudio for
> PC. I usually use Greek text, but the last example I did was the 3
> paragraphs with the English text I sent you and nothing different happened.

> 2010/1/15 Ruslan Zasukhin <ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com>
> On 1/15/10 3:52 PM, "Panagiotis Apostolellis" <takis73 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Please show
>>
>> * few lines of your text file
>> This is a test for Ruslan so you can see for yourself what the problem is!!!
>> This second paragraph leaves a blank line before. The same between this and
>> the next one.
>> This text was written within VStudio!

>> * what is produced by import OR export.
>> Text placed in a Director text member.

>> * your code which do this import or export.

>> txtWanted = "linktext, year, photo, photo_lezantes"  -- the fields I want to
>> retrieve

>> linkTxtC = gDB.sqlSelect("SELECT "&txtWanted&" from chrono where enotita=
>> '"&enotita&"' ORDER BY year")  -- get those fields from Table "chrono"

>> matching criteria "enotita" ordered by "year"
>> gLinkTxt = linkTxtC.getRecordAsPropList(value(linCol.item[1])) -- put the
>> resulting records in a global list variable

> * And this list contains already above TEXT with blank lines, yes?

> * Do you work always on single platform? Mac or Win?
> Can be this issue of different platform line ends?

> * Does Vstudio show later above text fine? Without blank lines?

>> txt = getProp(gLinkTxt, fText)  -- get field fText (in our case fText =
>> "linktext") from within the variable gLinkTxt

>> pSprite.member.text = txtOrRtf  -- put it as the text of a text sprite
>>
>> The linktext field is a Text, 2044, Nullable, Indexed, UTF-16 field

V4MD\Examples\SQL_way\Records_AddDeleteUpdate\Records_AddDeleteUpdate.dir

Trying to reproduce it:
Modify  any  record to have multiple-rows values in a string fields, then press
update  button.  After  that  -  iterating  the  records and see correct
values.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc