compressor error

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Fri Jan 15 12:54:35 CST 2010

On 1/15/10 8:22 PM, "Bernard Devlin" <bdrunrev at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bernard,

> I have at least identified for you what seems to be the blob size
> limit where your compression mechanism is failing.  Is there a
> document specifiying the limitations of Valentina?  I would assume
> that as part of your automated testing you would try inserting blobs
> of various sizes.

Well, I think we did not play with 15MB files
Compression was added yet in 2000-2001,
On that times even the whole db in 15Mb was quite big often. :)

-----------
> Another bug I've found is that VStudio in Data Editor

It is reported to Mantis?

> mode will display incorrect values when there is a document which has a
> compressed text field whose length > 8.2mb.

> With just 2 files in the
> database (one that will cause the compressor error, one that won't),
> the Data Editor is showing the same details e.g.same ID, same title
> for both documents, and no 'compressor error' is registered.

I think this is just side effect of above bug.

> If I then switch to the SQL Editor and run 'Select id,title from documents' I
> get two distinct rows with id and title.  Somehow VStudio in Data Editor mode
> is simply ignoring the 'compressor error' and returning the wrong results.

Id and title this is NOT a Text fields.

Easy Bernard. You have meet one nice feature of Valentina :)
      Valentina keep tables as COLUMNs.

Your cursor simple DO NOT read third TEXT filed.

TIP: Valentina Developers who know this feature, know
    that it can speed up sometimes work in x10-20 times,
    depending on number of fields in table and their size.

> It's worrying that within a few days of using Valentina I managed to
> find bugs in the compression mechanism, and VStudio's Data Editor and
> in the 'diagnose' process.

In fact you have found only one bug.
Rest is side effects.

> My usage of Valentina in this time has
> been very simple:  1 table with a few columns, with inserts and
> selects using the SQL API.  I have to hope that other areas of
> Valentina have been more thoroughly tested.
>
> That the 'diagnose' process fails in a situation like this is very
> bad, requiring a lot of manual trial and error on the part of someone
> like me.  If one feature of Valentina absolutely must be robust, it
> must be the 'diagnose' process.
>
> It has taken hours of my time to report and isolate these things.  It
> would have saved me a whole day if you had been able to accept the
> large but simple database that exhibited the problem.  Considering
> that I've transferred gigabytes of data across the internet today, I
> find it unprofessional that you have no mechanism to accept a 200mb
> database, or even a 2mb database.

We do of course. Just you are new to us.

We accept emails, but this not means that issue should not be reported to
mantis.

And in rare cases we give access to our FTP place.
Why we do not expose this publically? To not make mess on FTP,
To avoid that people see files of each other.
Very often people send files with serials or want keep files privately.

So we have own reasons, Bernard, which we have grow during last 11 years of
work with Valentina developers.

> The cost in my time wasted on this issue greatly exceeds the price I
> paid for my Valentina licenses.

Well, agree that not mysQL, not Postgre, than more not SqlLite DO NOT have
auto-compression feature for TEXTs. Right?

So your bad lack is only with huge files. If you'd use 1-5MB files you have
not see this bug...like others people.

Let me ask you, be little more positive. You and me together create new
things.
    We     - db tool,
    you    - app that will use this tool

And yes, PRICE of development tool, is far far far less of price of
developer/team time in some project. This is why we say - there is no many
sense say: Valentina cost $300 but e.g. Postgre - zero...