V4MD vs V4Rev

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Dec 19 01:30:33 CST 2010

On 12/19/10 2:18 AM, "Christian - ChrisKatDev.com"
<christian at chriskatdev.com> wrote:

HI Christian,

>> Questions:
>> - do you have benchmarks V4MD vs V4Rev?

> Not direct ... But I can say that V4MD and V4REV both are slower of V4RB.
> Between self ... I think they can be comparable.
>
> V4MD vs V4RB = 10x ? 20x ? (speed)
> (I try in this instant Real Studio with trial version)

Then I think I need explain more detailed.

Exists 2 cases:

1) PLUGIN (V4MD/V4REV/V4RB) is just a small wrapper around Valentina engine.

So if you call e.g. SqlSelect() which need resolve some query against table
with million records, than 99.99% of time will happens inside of Valentina.

And all plugins will looks comparable.

2) You need do some very hot loop in Lingo / RB / REV code
To call many small functions of plugin, which call small function in engine.

    loop million times
    {
           x = curs.field(x).value
    }

For such case become visible speed of wrapper itself, because time between
plugin and engine is about 50/50.

3) REALbasic - as I remember -- was very fast, near to C code.
    so it gives e.g. 5% overhead to pure C engine

Revolution and Director give me x4-x10 overhead I think.

Revolution because all params are packed to strings ...
Director because quite complex SDK similar to MS COM ...