Progress being made - need more help.

Barry G. Sumpter barrysum at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 12 17:34:24 CDT 2009

I wonder if there is a bit more to it than that.

i.e. pessimistic locking vs optimistic locking etc.

Pessimistic - Open for editing and leave open and locked open until updated.

Optimistic - Open and retrieve field data and close.
             Display field data for changes.
		 Press update button.
		 Open for update, update, and close.

I've always coded for the Optimistic locking.
    Get in, do my thing, get out.

The pessimistic locking (lock out) is for the record that has the potential
of being updated by more than one source(/person).

It's been a long time since I worked on a non-proprietary server database.
I was thinking the server would take care of this for you or at least
default to one or the other.

Just got back from a 24klm sprint on the road bike so I might be babbling.

AMB