Am I too old to learn Valentina?

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Sun Sep 6 07:28:08 CDT 2009

Hi Greg,

On 2009-09-06, at 12:04, Greg Olson-Hyde wrote:

> On 06/09/2009, at 7:15 PM, Thorsten Hohage wrote:
>
>> This scenario would be a good point to start an additional re-design
>> and not only convert to Valentina, but try to use a database-layer, a
>> class in RB where all the database logic, database access, ... is
>> bundled and NO sql and no explicit database access code anywhere
>> else.

> I have never heard of a 'database-layer' - do you mean an RB module
> that handles all this? I like the idea of what you suggest, "NO sql
> and no explicit database access code anywhere else", that is VERY
> appealing to me.

Good to hear ... and after this idea is now "implemented" in brain it
will grow and grow ;-)

> Seeing that I will have to do a great deal of re-design, I may as well
> get it right. Any examples of what you suggest? I looked database-
> layer up in the RB user guide but no luck - my FMP legacy has left me
> rather ignorant I am sorry to say.

I'm pretty sure, you will do it. Many years ago, I on my own was in
this "black dark age of FMP development" and I master to leave it and
now I'm in this sunny and funny land of Valentina-SQL-development!

I can send you my ValentinaDB-class I used in my RB apps, BUT I use an
Object-Relational-Mapping (ORM - you should find THIS) and this is
much more than only encapsulating of database functionality.

> There are so many documents on Valentina that I am suffering a bit
> from 'knowledge shock', but, I am looking now at the ones you
> suggested.
step by step and you're already start the right way, ask the questions
here on the Valentina DEV-List

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord