Disksapce of new database

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Oct 27 23:34:32 CDT 2009

On 10/28/09 12:43 AM, "Thomas Flemming" <tf at ttqv.com> wrote:

Hi Thomas,

> I just wrote a small routine to convert old Access-MDBs to Valentina-VDBs.
> I'm doing this quit simple, just looping through all tables and fields in the
> access-mdb and creating the respective tables and fields in a new
> Valentina-vdb.
>
> Everything works fine, but I'm really surprised about the filesize of the
> resulting VDB. Its huge!
>
> For example I have a access-mdb with 5 Table and 89 fields each. It is 500KB
> on disc.
> The newly created vdb, same structure, has 20MegaBytes !! Not even with data
> in.
>
> But when I zip the new vdb, it is only 70KB left, so the 20MB is mostly empty
> space.
>
> Is this normal? Even a compress in VStudio doesnt change the size.

Yes, this is normal.

Valentina engine pre-allocates one disk segment for each internal logical
file.

Segment is 4Kb.

This is not many yet. MS SQL Server use 32Kb segments.

Note, that this empty db will be compressed by ZIP to few Kb, only,
Because it is zeroed mainly.

IF you need work with tiny dbs, then you can set smaller SegmentSize in the
    db.Create()