Forwards & Backwards Compatibility

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Mon Nov 16 12:18:34 CST 2009

Hi Lynn,

On Nov 16, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Lynn Fredricks wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
>> In 2007 I developed an app on Mac OS X 10.4 that worked. I
>> returned to that app with RB 2009 on a Mac with OS X 10.6.
>> Now it doesn't work. However, if I run the app from inside of
>> RB 2007, it works on the newer Mac with OS X 10.6.
>
> Ruslan may have more specific information about compatibility but, are you
> sure you've eliminated all REALbasic related issues before touching the
> stuff that involves Valentina? We've gotten many, many reports of
> version-to-version updates to REALbasic that break projects (vanilla
> projects that do not use third party controls).

Yes. I'm confident that I've eliminated ALL of the possible REALbasic aspects of this matter. To include the devices and cables related to the project: I alternated two sets of devices and cables between two platforms and the results were that it works under RB2007 on BOTH the older and newer platforms.

And I doubt if Valentina has ANYTHING to do with the 'breakage'. It's NOT USED in the testing app.

Rather, I'm wondering if I can develop the full-blown version of the app I have in mind using the old RB2007 IDE and the NEW V4RB. And when REAL Software gets around to fixing the problem with their RB2009, migrate the project to RB2009.