V4MD: Save images compressed (like png) incl. alpha

Marc Schmitt Marc_Schmitt at gmx.de
Fri Mar 13 03:49:24 CDT 2009

Hi Ruslan,

thanks for your reply.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:42:15 +0200
> Von: Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
> An: "valentina at lists.macserve.net" <valentina at lists.macserve.net>, Kirill Pekarov <kirill_pekarov at valentina-db.com>
> Betreff: Re: V4MD: Save images compressed (like png) incl. alpha

> On 3/12/09 12:12 PM, "Marc Schmitt" <Marc_Schmitt at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> > I'm wondering what is the 'best' method for putting an image (incl.
> aplha)
> > into a db while using little space?
> > Quite like the compression used in png-format...
> >
> > By now I extract he alpha information of an image and save two pictures:
> one
> > with rgb-information and another one with the alpha of the director
> image.
> > Later, I pull these two informations back together to get the image
> incl.
> > alpha again.
> >
> > Is there an recommended approach without doing this extra processing,
> while
> > keeping stored information small? Maybe tiff is the way to go, but I
> didn't
> > find anything about setting compression methods in valentina for saving
> > pictures in tiff-format..?
>
> 1) As I remember we have integrate TIFF compression few years ago.
> But rare used.
>
> You can try kTIFF instead of kJPG
>
> Kirill?

So you cannot set the compression explicitly?
Maybe I'm overlooking something about that in the docs...
If the 'deflate' compression method would be available,
the lossless compression would be as strong as in png.
If only RLE or LZW compression is used, the saved data would
be quite huge compared to DEFLATE.

If you cannot already do this with valentina, here's my feature request! :)

> 2) you can also have way:
>
>     save from Director using its features to PNG or TIFF on disk
>     then use VBLOB.FromFile()  and later .ToFile()
>     commands to load/unload file to VBLOB field as is.

I'm aware of this. But I assume this could be quite a performance hit. Especially if I want to use Shockwave as delivery method,
I think it has some downsides to save out quite a bunch of big tiff-files?

Cheers