[V4CC] Speed of OR-mapping

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Sun Mar 1 04:38:01 CST 2009

Hi Ruslan,

On 2009-03-01, at 09:37, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
> Only I wonder ... You sure that RB's best time is 25 sec?
Yes, absolutely.

> When few year ago I did benches of Valentina
> I did them in REALbasic project.
> I have measure overhead of RB plugin itself.
> And I must say - I did not see that RB is slow.
> It was TIMES faster of Revolution or Director.
>
> And in my head present number that RB is about 5-10% of C code...
>
> May be something was changed in RB.
> May be you use something what I did not use e.g. Classes

We not talking about "plain" read data in RB, but about using my ORM
framework. Perhaps it could *NOW* been optimized, because some RB
features are now available, that was not, when I designed my framework.

So issue with RB is, that everything needed or perhaps better I want
to have at my hands like key-value-coding must be implemented by
myself with really complicated code. A lot of "list" and context
handling, too - everything delivered by Cocoa for  "free".

So the bottleneck here is NOT RB as RB, but an ORM concept in RB.

But on the other hand the build apps was really usable, sometimes a
little bit slow, but still usable. So the customers who are going
migrate will blown away from their screens when doing the first big
search :-)

> On the other hand this is not important now.
> You go to ObjC and you have great results now on hands :-)

thanks :-)

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord