[V4CC] Speed of OR-mapping

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Mar 1 02:37:45 CST 2009

On 3/1/09 2:51 AM, "Thorsten Hohage" <thohage at genericobjects.de> wrote:

Hi Thorsten,

> so my test was with 324 records with 50+ fields (@Ruslan: lot of
> VString / VVarChar btw. ;-))
>
> My average time for handling all this was around 8 sec. - comparing
> with RB needing 25+ sec. a nice result, but I was not satisfied with it.
>
> So I asked many question and wonder where the reason is. First of all
> I must say SORRY!!!! for even asking if there might be some reason
> with Valentina :-)))
>
> After changing some of the basic concepts AND fixing some really
> strange issue - yes, it's wonderful to have a language like Obj-C
> without strict type checking - but bad for debugging / finding issues
> at all ... I must only blame myself.
>

> Currently I'm significantly below 1 Sec. oder better near to
> unmeasurable!
>

> What even far more interesting, it doesn't matter if I use 324 select
> statements or 1 with 324 rows returned, if I use client or erver side
> cursor ...
>
> It doesn't matter if I use properties in my Obj-C classes or a
> NSMutableDictionary with Key Value Coding, ...
>
> I'm still significantly below 1 Sec.  - I think I've been satisfied
> for now :-))) And compare it with 25+ sec. in RB!

Well, just big WOW!

Only I wonder ... You sure that RB's best time is 25 sec?

When few year ago I did benches of Valentina
I did them in REALbasic project.
I have measure overhead of RB plugin itself.
And I must say - I did not see that RB is slow.
It was TIMES faster of Revolution or Director.

And in my head present number that RB is about 5-10% of C code...

May be something was changed in RB.
May be you use something what I did not use e.g. Classes

On the other hand this is not important now.
You go to ObjC and you have great results now on hands :-)