First snapshoot of iV4CC = Valentina from iPhone :-)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 31 10:05:11 CST 2009

On 1/31/09 5:54 PM, "gary hayenga" <vandg at speakeasy.org> wrote:

Hi Gary,

> The main advantage I see of using Valentina as a the local database on
> the iPhone as well, is that you would be able to use the exact same
> syntax, and possibly the exact same code, for writing data locally and
> to the database server.  I suppose that if you're using strictly SQL
> to do it, which I usually do, then the differences will be quite small
> if you're using an SQLite cocoa wrapper like FMDB on the iPhone.  So
> the major feature that SQLite is missing, other than a database server
> you can talk to natively, would be Foreign Key Constraints.  Things
> like full text indexing aren't available in the version of SQLite that
> ships on the iPhone, but you can compile and install the most recent
> version yourself, which does have it.
>
> Possibly multi-line inserts, SQLite won't let me do "insert into
> myTable (int1, int2) values (1,1), (2,2), (3,3);"  and it won't let me
> do "insert into myTable (int1, int2) values (1,1);insert into myTable
> (int1, int2) values (2,2);insert into myTable (int1, int2) values
> (3,3);" it will only execute the insert before the first semicolon.  I
> seem to recall that Valentina *would* let me do both of those, and
> inserting or updating large amounts of data over a network is always
> faster when you can send it all as one string instead of thousands of
> separate ones.

** Okay, so main point is to evelop iPhone app which can store data locally
using Valentina db and remotely using Vclient + Vserver with THE SAME
code-base.
Agree.

** well if compare all features of Valentina missing in SqlLite I think its
long story :-)

** btw, Vclient and Vserver when sending by inet something big ( > of 1Kb)
always do compression of that info. Important is that this happens
automatically for everything. As far as we know and see by sources, not
mySQL not Postgre do not have such feature.

So Valentina is able provide faster and more compact protocol of data
exchange that mySQL and Postgre. IMO this is big advantage for iPhone apps,
especially if iPhone is not on WiFi now ...  The same TRUE if remember
server/side cursors.

With mySQL client if your result is 5000 records you will wait very long
while they come to client RAM. And LIMIT here is not the best friend on many
reasons.