First snapshoot of iV4CC = Valentina from iPhone :-)

gary hayenga vandg at speakeasy.org
Sat Jan 31 09:54:41 CST 2009

The main advantage I see of using Valentina as a the local database on
the iPhone as well, is that you would be able to use the exact same
syntax, and possibly the exact same code, for writing data locally and
to the database server.  I suppose that if you're using strictly SQL
to do it, which I usually do, then the differences will be quite small
if you're using an SQLite cocoa wrapper like FMDB on the iPhone.  So
the major feature that SQLite is missing, other than a database server
you can talk to natively, would be Foreign Key Constraints.  Things
like full text indexing aren't available in the version of SQLite that
ships on the iPhone, but you can compile and install the most recent
version yourself, which does have it.

Possibly multi-line inserts, SQLite won't let me do "insert into
myTable (int1, int2) values (1,1), (2,2), (3,3);"  and it won't let me
do "insert into myTable (int1, int2) values (1,1);insert into myTable
(int1, int2) values (2,2);insert into myTable (int1, int2) values
(3,3);" it will only execute the insert before the first semicolon.  I
seem to recall that Valentina *would* let me do both of those, and
inserting or updating large amounts of data over a network is always
faster when you can send it all as one string instead of thousands of
separate ones.