Opening time after startup of Windows

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 3 07:57:44 CST 2009

On 1/3/09 3:08 PM, "Leo Van den Brande" <leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl> wrote:

> I am still struggling with the long opening time of the database
> after startup of Windows.
>
> To recapitulate:
> Project: Program for generating interactive multimedial textbooks.
> Authors and student versions. Size program: 56 Mb)
> Windows: XP, 1.7 GHz, 1.24 GB RAM
> Mac OS 10.4.10, 1.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM
> Develop on Mac with RB 2008 2, and Val 3.5.2, and build for Mac and
> Windows.
> Valentina cache: 250 Mb (also tested 20 and 150 Mb).
> DB: single file, size: 191 MB, Tables 34, Index nr: 297, presently
> residing on the harddisk, in future on DVD (complete textbook: 1.5 Gb).
> Larger DB for testing: size: 513 MB, same specifications.
>
> Results:
> Windows. First opening:  Actual DB:  44-50 sec, Large DB:  115-121
> sec. Second opening of the program without going out of Windows: 2
> rsp. 3-4 sec.

Hi Leo,

Well,  can you prepare for me archive to download
    with app
    and with this 191MB db

I think compressed archive will be about 100MB - not a problem.

I will download it, and try to see what happens during these 44-50 seconds.

--
You see, in the past, if db have many VarChars and Indexes then on db.open
each of them was touched to read its HEADER.  But later we have implement

So it is not clear to me what happens during this time.

Another bad thing can be - automatic REINDEXING ...
    if this happens you must be able see this in the
    Warnings_xxxxx.log file line(s)

        "Reindex field FFF"

Please check this file if it exists near to your .app or db.

These are all ideas so far.