Opening time after startup of Windows

Leo Van den Brande leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl
Tue Feb 17 07:21:59 CST 2009

Hi Ruslan,

Thanks for your extensive reaction!

>> You told me you would prepare a version in which this is implemented.
>> I was waiting for that.
>
> Yes, but sorry I must spend time now to prepare 4.0.
> Deadline.
>
> After 4.0 I will return back to Defragment()

I understand.

>> Previously, the database resided on the harddisk. With a truly large
>> DB this is not possible. So, I have changed my program such that it
>> reads from a DVD and adjusted the installer accordingly.
>> For testing, I prepared a DB that comes close in size (1.7 Gb) to
>> what
>> it will grow to (2-3-GB).
>
> I have not catch. Your app copy some info from db  on DVD to db on
> HDD?

No, now there is no DB on the HD. The DB remains on DVD and the
program reads data from there.

> What problems to have on HDD big DB?
> HDD is bigger of DVD.
>
> Please explain this point.

I did that for fear that some students may not have up to 3 Gb free
space on their computer.

> *******
>> Some recent results: note that on second opening without going out of
>> Windows the time is always short (2-3 seconds).
>
>> DB 1.6 Gb on DVD:
>> From within the whole program (59 Mb for exe): 98-99 sec.
>
>> From a test program (same code for opening DB but a minimum of other
>> functions (34 Mb for exe): 47-55 sec
>
>> In VStudio (v4): 20-23 sec.
>
>> So, VStudio is quite efficient. With my program, opening time seems
>> DB-
>> size-dependent.
>
> ** This just have no sense for me if you really really really talk
> about
>    db.open() only.

In my own programs I do the timing just before and just after
db.open(). In VStudio I must do the timing with a watch. I wait until
opening begins and then measure. That seems accurate enough, at most 1
or 2 seconds off.

> Valentina ENGINE is the same for all 3 apps you name.
> Right?

In the two RealBasic projects mentioned I use version Valentina 3.5.2
(V4RB.rbx, 9 febr 2008).
As you know, initially I used VStudio v3 and later, v4.

> Valentina Engine inside of db.open() do 100% the same job.
>
> So why Vstudio get 20 seconds, but your app 98 seconds.
> For me this only sounds as in your app you measure not only
> db.open() but a
> lots of other calls to db engine. Can this be?
>

> *** You point that Vstudio is v4.
>    Your apps also on v4, yes?

No, for my apps I have used version Valentina 3.5.2. I had not changed
for consistency of results, but I will upgrade now and run some tests
again.

> *** Only possible difference between these 3 apps can be CACHE SIZE.
>    is it the same for all three apps?

Valentina cache is 250 Mb in both my apps. I tested other cache sizes
with the test program. The differences are only marginal (20, 50 and
100 are 2 -3 sec. longer; 500 is same as 250).
Sorry, but I was not aware I could set the cache in VStudio. I will
look into that.

> *** You can compress your 1.6Gb db, to I think 300-500MB. And put it
> on FTP.
>    I can download it and fire on DVD.
>
>    You can compress your 59MB and I can download it.
>    then I can play with this again even on old P4 computer.

That's a nice offer!
Since the tests were done with the v3 plugin, whereas Vstudio is v4, I
will first upgrade to the v4 plugin, run some tests again and report
that before having you go through this trouble.
I will also to do some exact testing on the Mac, where opening times
after turning on the Mac never seem to be very long.

>> Since the opening process is done from within Valentina, is it
>> possible to catch and store the information that Windows stores in
>> its
>> cache? When this is done once at installation of the program, could
>> that information then be reused when opening the program? Or Is this
>> too wild an idea?
>
> No.
>
> I have point that as far as I see even rename of disk file - force
> windows
> forget it from cache

I was afraid this was not a realistic possibility. Note however that
in the student version the contents of the DB and its name are not
changing.

Thanks so much for your great support!

Kind regards,

Leo