VDataBase_IsOpen( gDBRef ) fails

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Dec 14 11:01:23 CST 2009

Hello,

I am using V4REV_3 and I have two support issues, without a solution.

1. Right when launching my app, before opening the database I am doing a
test with VDataBase_IsOpen( gDBRef ) if it is already open, if not I am
opening it.

On 99% of the installations this runs smooth, but some customers get a
function error at this statement on Mac and Win. The curious thing on this
is, that it only happens since my latest update release. And it happens
reproducible at this some customers every time they launch my app. When
installing an older version of my app, it runs without this problem. But
since the beginning of this app I have nothing changed on this function or
statement.

So there are two questions: 1. What could be the difference in the
environment of the machines, where it runs and not, what could have an
effect on this statement? 2. What could have changed in my App from one
version to the next that this error appears, but only on a few machines? My
only idea is, that perhaps the valentina drivers or my program isn't fully
or correctly loaded. But is so, why and what could I change? Does anybody
has experienced anything similar and has any hint or direction for my
researches?

2. With the first version of my App I got on some Mac machines an index
error. So I added a VDataBase_SQLExecute( gDBRef, "REINDEX DATABASE" ) after
having opened the database and the problem was gone.

Because my database has no write or update actions on it (it is only read by
my App), the database file resides in a subfolder of my program dir, what
was no problem concerning any user rights for write action. Now I got
unsure, what actually is happening with the reindex database. Is this a
write performance on the database file or does the reindex only happens in
the memory? If it is a write performance on the file I think it should not
resides in the prog dir, but 1. I can't change the whole design of my App at
all customers out there and 2. If this could get a problem, why is it
running at all (most) customers? 3. Could problem #1 has anything to do with
this, though the reindex happens a dozens statement later as the test of
being open and no error is thrown on this statement.

I appreciate any hints or opinions, sometimes I don't see the wood for the
trees.

Thank you

Tiemo