Opening time after startup of Windows

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Mon Nov 24 03:05:46 CST 2008

Hi  Leo,

On 2008-11-24, at 09:52, Leo Van den Brande wrote:
> Under Windows XP, opening my DB the first time after starting up the
> computer takes long.
You are talking about "opening" the DB in sense of local usage and not
connecting to a server? For the further I'm going to assume this ...

> Some data:
> Actual size: 191 MB, Tables 34, Index nr: 297, presently residing on
> the harddisk,
> Large DB for testing: size: 513 MB, same specifications,
>
> Times:
> Windows. First opening:  Actual DB:  44-50 sec, Large DB:  115-121
> sec. Second opening: 2 rsp. 3-4 sec.
> Mac. First opening:  Actual DB:  6 sec, Large DB:  14 sec. Second
> opening: 6 sec in both instances.

Hm, the sizes didn't sound that big for me, not a small one, but not
hugh. IMHO the differences between Win and Mac are really astonishing!

Did you check this on only one machine or on several windows machines?

Was this a real machine or a Virtual PC running on a Mac?

When thinking about "opening" a file with such a delay, a Anti-Virus
comes to my mind really fast!?!?! Probably there is no one running on
the Mac and perhaps the one on the Win machine did a close look on the
first start up - can you check to see if there is something running
and try to switch of before starting for the first time.

Did you try to open the DBs e.g. directly in Valentina Studio? Are
there the same differences? Especially when reading that you are using
REALbasic (I have my OWN experience with it especially WIN <> MAC) I
would really, really check if there is something else going wrong
during start up on Win!

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord