Opening time after startup of Windows

Leo Van den Brande leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl
Mon Nov 24 02:52:50 CST 2008

Hi Ruslan

Under Windows XP, opening my DB the first time after starting up the
computer takes long.
Apparently, this s a known issue but discussions gave me no solution
and I couldn't find any clue in the documentation.
So, I need help!

Some data:
Actual size: 191 MB, Tables 34, Index nr: 297, presently residing on
the harddisk,
Large DB for testing: size: 513 MB, same specifications,

Times:
Windows. First opening:  Actual DB:  44-50 sec, Large DB:  115-121
sec. Second opening: 2 rsp. 3-4 sec.
Mac. First opening:  Actual DB:  6 sec, Large DB:  14 sec. Second
opening: 6 sec in both instances.

The DB will grow to 1.5-2 GB. I'm concerned about the time of opening
the DB. At that time, I will keep the database on DVD but I suppose
that will make no difference.
There are two versions of my program (for making multimedial
textbooks): authors version: DB should be ReadWrite., students: DB
should be ReadOnly.

Questions:
1. What exactly happens on opening the DB that requires such long
opening times, specifically at first startup of Windows?
2. What should I do to reduce opening time the first time around on
PC in both versions?
3. How to set the DB to ReadOnly in case I compile for the student
version?

Some additional info:
Windows: XP, 1.7 GHz, 1.24 GB RAM
Mac OS 10.4.10, 1.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM
Develop on Mac with RB 2008 2, and Val 3.5.2, and build for Mac and
Windows.
Valentina cache: used both 150 and 250 Mb  (250 Mb gives only a small
gain of speed)

I will value advice! Thanks,

Leo

Leo Van den Brande