[V4MD] Valentina XTRA on Windows?

Irv Kalb Irv at furrypants.com
Thu Nov 6 14:25:57 CST 2008

Hi Sean (nice to see you here!),

I did run the Installer.  It looks like it just creates the /Program
Files/Paradigma Software folder and copies files there.  When it
finished, I copied the V4MD.Xtra into my XTRAs folder of Director.

OK, based on what you wrote, I decided to reboot my PC.  Now,
everything is fine.

Ruslan:  I don't see this anywhere in the documentation.  If the
installer installs stuff onto my machine that can only work after I
reboot my system, then why doesn't the installer or the documentation
tell me that I need to reboot my system in order for this stuff to
work?!?

This is the type of frustration that I (and apparently Mike and
others) are having with the Valentina.  The product is great, does
great things, is very fast, etc, etc.  But getting things set up is
much more difficult than it needs to be.  I just wasted the better
part of the day trying to track this down for my client and running
test cases, and then having to write to this list to figure out what
to do.  Just to find out that I needed to rebooot my system.

Sean said that there is stuff in the Wiki about what to do for
publishing as a projector.  All I can find is this:

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct part of the Wiki, but the
only thing I could find in there about installation was this:

Windows
The Installer for Windows installs on your computer:
	?	The V4MD_3 folder into the Director:plugins folder.
This folder contains the V4MD plugin itself and the folder Examples.
	?	The VComponents folder into "/Program Files/Paradigma
Software/vcomponents_win_cw". The vcomponents folder contains several
DLLs; also see the detailed description of vcomponents folder.
	?	Append to the system variable PATH the path to
VComponents folder, so Windows can find and load DLLs.
Now you need V4MD.Xtra into the Director/plugins folder.

Maybe there is more than this, but I could not find it easily.  And
based on what this says, I don't have a clue as to what needs to be
done to use Valentina with a projector on a PC.  I can't tell if I
need to have end users run this installer, or should I just be able
to ship with the V4MD XTRA, or include the components or ...?

Irv

At 8:04 AM +1300 11/7/08, Sean Wilson wrote:
>Hi Irv,
>
>You really should run the installer on any machine that needs to use the
>xtra in the authoring environment, since it adds components (libraries
>and such) on your C: drive and sets some environment variables.
>
>For deployment of a published projector you need to include these
>components as well as the xtra - there are details on the WIKI.
>
>HTH,
>Sean.

Multimedia R Us